With so much diverse & extensive gadgets on the market these days for parents it can be overwhelming knowing what you need & what you don't.
Entering Motherhood for the first time or the 4th time can be daunting which is why I've created my top 10 tips for new mammas.
1. Invest in some high quality bamboo muslim wraps, these are fantastic for swaddling your newborn, providing shade over the pram or as burp cloths. They come in so handy right through to toddlerhood.
2. A nursing chair is essential whether its for feeding, reading books or rocking your newborn to sleep. Spending quality time in the nursery allows your little one to become familiar with their environment even if they are currently sleeping in a bassinet next to your bed. He/she will be moving into their own sleep space at some point so spending time in there daily allows a smoother transition down the track.
3. Invest in a high quality mattress! Even if you skimp on the cot itself make sure the mattress is of the best quality it should be breathable, firm and when you place your hand firmly down on the mattress you shouldn't feel any springs. This will be their bed for 2-3 years so we want to ensure it's super comfortable.
4. A baby monitor is an important piece of equipment. With a lot of options on the market these days I find the portable rechargeable one with a temperature gage the most convenient as you can always determine whether your baby is too hot or too cold just by checking the monitor.
5. A baby sling/wrap is another great buy especially when your little one reaches 6 weeks and can become extremely hard to put down as they just want to be held. A sling allows you to make that cuppa or hang that load of washing out if needed without disturbing your little one.
6. Comforter! Your newborn will not need it straight away but it can come in handy down the track whether its attaching a couple of dummies to it so they don't loose them throughout the night or it's just to provide them comfort overnight with the smell of mum or milk.